Fun Things to Do in Middlesex County, NJ
Placed right between New York City and Philadelphia is a stretch of New Jersey just waiting to be discovered and explored. Middlesex County is a place where you can find plenty of activities to stimulate the heart, mind and soul, and there’s no shortage of things to do with kids in Middlesex County if you have a family and need activities to engage the young ones.
Whether you’re living in Middlesex County and need ideas or just visiting for a few days, here’s a look at fun things to do in Middlesex County, NJ.
Rutgers Ecological Preserve
- Piscataway Township, NJ 08854
- Description: Step out of the urban cityscape and into nature when you visit the Rutgers Ecological Preserve. This is the perfect place for an afternoon of hiking, including 3.8 miles of trails and different length loops for hikers of different capabilities. The Rutgers Ecological Preserve doesn’t offer any long, challenging trails, but it’s a great place for even expert hikers to stretch their legs.
Cheesequake State Park
- 300 Gordon Road, Matawan, NJ 07747
- Description: Cheesequake State Park is a 1,274-acre oasis of nature that includes trails for hiking and mountain biking, camping areas, water for swimming and boating, as well as marsh and tidal estuary areas. Visit the park for just a few hours’ worth of fun or spend a few days exploring all it has to offer.
- Milltown, NJ
- Description: A freshwater reservoir near Milltown, Farrington Lake is home to channel catfish, largemouth bass, yellow perch, chain pickerel, northern pike and other fish species that make it an angler’s paradise. After rainy days, visit the Lake’s dam to watch water pour down its massive steps.
Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park
- 37 Christie Street, Edison, NJ 08820
- $5 suggested donation
- Description: The Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park honors the accomplishments of one of history’s great scientists and inventors. Visitors can enjoy a small museum and an education center as well as the Edison Memorial Tower.
Giamarese Farm & Orchards
- 155 Fresh Ponds Road, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
- Description: Open May through December, Giamarese Farm & Orchards is a working farm that’s been operating in Middlesex County since 1941. Visit to pick your own fruits and vegetables, walk through the greenhouse and farmer’s market, or take a weekend hayride.
- Roosevelt Drive, Edison, NJ 08837
- Description: The oldest park in Middlesex County, Roosevelt Park offers 217 acres of outdoors and recreation opportunity. One of the focal points of the park is an eight-acre lake where visitors can spend a beautiful day of fishing. Roosevelt Park is also home to a must-see fountain sculpture known as “Light Dispelling Darkness.”
FUN FOR EVERYONE
- 112 Ryders Lane, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
- Description: Rutgers Gardens is a botanical garden open 365 days a year. Visit to tour the gardens anytime, or you can choose to participate in one of many special events, including the Winter Market, Fall Festival, Summer Fest, Spring Flower Fair, Spring Festival, Summer Solstice Jazz and Wine as well as several movie nights.
Plays in the Park (in Roosevelt Park)
- 1 Pine Drive, Edison, NJ 08837
- $7 for adults, $5 for seniors, free for kids
- Description: Each summer, Roosevelt Park in Edison serves as host to Plays in the Park. For more than 54 years, a devoted group of community theater volunteers has produced well-known plays and musicals like Mary Poppins, West Side Story and others.
The Proprietary House
- 149 Kearny Avenue, Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
- $10 for adults, $5 for children
- Description: One of the most historic buildings in the United States, Proprietary House served as the residence of New Jersey’s last Royal Governor. Built in 1764, it has also served as a hotel, retirement home and boarding house. Today, it’s a museum that lets visitors step into the past.
Not everything is fun and games in Middlesex County! This is a place where people live and work, and sometimes they need dumpster rental for businesses or at homes where renovation projects are taking place.
At Hometown Waste & Recycling Services, Inc., we are New Jersey’s best source for dumpster rental, including in Middlesex County. We know this area well and we love all that it has to offer. We also love serving area home and business owners who need dumpster rentals for projects of all kinds. We can quickly deliver an estimate for dumpster rental when you contact us.
Get in touch today for your dumpster rental estimate.